The size of Aireys Inlet is approximately 20.2 square kilometres with the Painkalac Creek separating the town from Fairhaven.
The population of Aireys Inlet in 2011 was 714 people and by the 2016 Census the population was 808 showing a population growth of 13.2 per cent in the area during that time.
History shows that in 1839 John Airey took up a pastoral run near Point Roadknight, east of the inlet and by 1842 his holding expanded along the coast beyond the inlet and was named the Angahook Run.
It is probable that Aireys Inlet is named after him, although his brother George was a Commissioner for Crown Lands in the Geelong district, 1839-44.
In 1890, the construction of a lighthouse was begun on the site known as Eagle’s Nest Point (renamed Split Point in 1913).
The heritage listed lighthouse, 100 metres above sea level, is made of cement-rendered concrete and is a very popular tourist attraction for those on the Great Ocean Road tourist run. A significant segment of the Aireys community are deeply engaged with the towns future and strongly resist any urbanisation of this settlement.
Although once a town dominated by professional retirees and holidaymakers, Aireys has been transitioning itself slowly to a younger family demographic as holiday homes make way for permanent residences.
With this change of demographic will likely come greater acceptance of infrastructure improvements and other subtle development that will support the emerging younger population.
CoreLogic data indicates that the predominant age group in Aireys Inlet is 50-59 years with households in Aireys Inlet being primarily childless couples and are likely to be repaying $1,000 – $1,399 per month on mortgage repayments, and in general, people in Aireys Inlet work in a professional occupation.
In 2011, 74 per cent of the homes in Aireys Inlet were owner-occupied compared with 73.9 per cent in 2016.