SHINEHUB and Geelong Sustainability have announced they will be holding a ‘solar giveaway’ as part of the Geelong Community Solar Program.
For every 50 households that sign up to the Geelong Community Solar Program, ShineHub and Geelong Sustainability will co-donate a 3kW solar panel system to a local household in need.
With sign-ups beginning to stream in, it is projected that 300 households will make the switch to solar through the program, meaning about six systems will be up for grabs.
Expressions of interest are now open. ShineHub and Geelong Sustainability have called on the community to help them find worthy recipients.
“Far too often power poverty takes a hold on Australian families, couples and individuals. The ultimate remedy to crippling electricity bills is self-sustainability, but sometimes solar solutions lie beyond the reach of those who need them most,” ShineHub chief executive officer Alex Georgiou said.
“We are looking for residents of Geelong and surrounding suburbs to share their stories and tell us how a solar system would help their household.”
Local residents are invited to apply by emailing email@example.com with the subject line ‘Solar Giveaway’ and the following details:
- Your name, email, phone number and home address
- Whether you are renting or own your house
- Your average quarterly electricity bill (be prepared to show your most recent bill for confirmation)
- A short summary of how going solar would help you and your household
- A short summary as to why you haven’t been able to make the switch to solar before now
- The average income bracket of your household (be prepared to show documentation to prove this if you are selected).
Applications will close on July 28, with Geelong Sustainability and their board to review all applications and make a decision by August 15. Recipients will be announced on September 1, and installation is scheduled for December.