With the change of season, entertaining has moved from the barbecue back indoors to the dining room where it is cosy and warm.
Your dining table is a vital piece of furniture both aesthetically and functionally.
Before you start looking at the style, the most vital choice, according to Alison from Bombora Custom Furniture, is the size.
“The most common question that our clients have is what size the table should be,” she said.
“The table needs to be the right size for the space, the chairs as well as for the number of people that you want to seat.”
In ensure customers are equipped with the right size dining table for their home the team at Bombora have come up with five key points:
1. Leave at least 800mm from the table to any walls or other pieces of furniture. You need this space to pull chairs out and for flow of traffic while all the chairs are in use.
2. Decide on your chairs before the table for the perfect fit. There is a huge variety of chairs available today and there is not a standard width. On average you need to leave at least 500-600mm per seat. To be more accurate, take the width of the seat and add 100-150mm on the side of each chair.
3. Consider the leg placement and size. If you have very limited space, a refectory style table or one with legs at the corners will ensure that you maximise the seating area. Otherwise, when calculating the dimensions, ensure to include the width of the table leg.
4. Leave 400mm from the end of the table to the legs for the diner at the end.
5. Consider more unusual table shapes if you are lacking in space.
A wide table enables two seats at the end; a circular table or a square can work better in some rooms. Having more flexible seating options such as bench seats can allow a couple more people to squeeze in and is great for children.
Bombora Custom Furniture, located in Torquay, specialise in creating timeless pieces of refined timber furniture that showcase the natural beauty of Australian recycled wood.
“We love collaborating with our clients to create the perfect dining table for their space and their style,” Alison said.
“It is so satisfying to know that a piece that we have crafted we be enjoyed by our clients for many years to come.”
For more information, head to bomboracustomfurniture.com.au with visits to the workshop welcomed by appointment: phone 0407 906 799.