G.J. Gardner Homes Ballarat outline all things ‘split-level’ to equip you with the information required to ensure your split-level build journey is smooth, exciting and memorable.
You may have heard that sloping blocks are difficult to build on, take more time, and cost more money.
While sloping blocks can throw up extra challenges, don’t let that deter you. With a split-level home, you can make the most of the gradient of your land to create a unique and stylish property. Split Level homes are built into the natural angle of the land to work with the landscape, rather than against it.
Typically, they have staggered floor levels, short sets of stairs and up to four separate levels.
Give it to me straight: what do I need to know about split level?
Sloping blocks can present their own challenges, which you’ll need to factor in during the building process:
• An extensive site survey, paying attention to drainage and soil stability. These site costs need to be factored into your budget and retaining walls may be required.
• Structural design is particularly important for sloping blocks and will usually require major excavation to create a level slab.
So is it worth it?
Despite some challenges, split-level homes bring many advantages:
• The separate living and sleeping areas bring an element of privacy, creating distinct zones for work, rest, and play
• They maximise natural light and offer abundant views.
• By working with the natural contours of the land, the home fits harmoniously into its surrounding landscape.
• Each home is tailored to the slope and size of the block, resulting in a unique yet practical design that offers plenty of space. By building vertically rather than horizontally, you can make the most of your land size.
In short, the end result is well worth it. You’ll have an elegant home that flows seamlessly and makes the most of its aspect and views.
At G.J. Gardner Homes Ballarat, we have tailored home designs to suit sloping blocks. For more information on building with the #mosttrusted builder please call 5334 4099 or visit gjgardner.com.au.